Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rocket Rule #1

Say No to Boredom

As part of my rise to the top I'm going to be offering a few tips for success. These "Rocket Rules" will help others hoping to follow in my footsteps. But don't follow too closely.
I will destroy you.

Boredom, and it's cousin apathy are dangerous enemies to the professional succeeder. This is what I have decided my career choice will be. I will turn success in to an art form. I need to find a cooler name than "succeeder". Any suggestions are welcome. At any rate, I have declared war on boredom. When those pangs of mediocrity start striking at my heart, I have decided to immediately do something exciting.

Example:
Yesterday I was working the night shift at my current place of employment. This place, for those of you that are soooo curious that you have to find out everything about anyone, is Canadian Tire. But I am no mindless peon, no sir. I have already achieved the position of floor manager in charge of sports and recreation. Of course, the night shift does not require a floor manager for any particular department, since the store is not open. But that's beside the point.
Yesterday, I was starting to become bored, since most of my stocking work was done. So, instead of being unproductive and sitting around with the other guys (who are total dorks by the way), I decided to do something useful. I practiced my fly fishing stroke. "Rocket, are you sure that's useful? I mean, fly fishing?"

Let me present a scenario to the droves of scoffers that already seem to be besieging this humble blog:
It is late autumn in the Pacific Northwest. The Rocket and his buddies are on a camping trip. They become lost because Terry forgot to bring his GPS (again). "Rocket, what are we going to do? We have no food!" No problem! I immediately bring out my collapsible fly fishing rod and get to work. "Rocket, what is that? Do you know how to use one of those things?" Of course I do, having practiced my skills during those precious "boredom moments." I catch our dinner, and quite possibly save our lives.

Declaring war on boredom could save your life.

No comments: