Friday, April 11, 2008

Laying Low gets you Nowhere, but it keeps you out of Harm's way

And the record for longest title on the Rocket's blog goes to . . . This post! As you all well know, the Rocket likes to be succinct and witty in his titles, but this novella was necessary to convey the proper message. Life has been an exciting ride for the Rocket lately, full of action, adventure, and romance. Okay, mostly hopes of romance. Well, more like dreams of romance. But that's okay, I am not in the least deterred.

So here's the long overdue update on my life:

I have a new place of employment. It's a haven of peace and learning, a place where the Rocket can really spread his wings. It's called the public library. I assume that most of you have never been there. Your only source of learning is probably this blog. That's fine with me. I encourage you to never set foot in your local public library. It means less work for me.

"But Rocket," you ask, "how did you go from Canadian Tire all-star (2 months running) to librarian in such a short time?" Well, I can tell you that networking played a huge part in my step up in the employment world. One of the best networkers you may ever find on this earth is your mother. Remember that reality, Rocket readers. At any rate, my mother works for city council, which shares a building with the library. She pretty much went in there every day and told them about my many skills. In fact, it took her 54 days to list all of my skills in their entirety. Following such an impressive verbal resume, they were compelled to hire me as a "lending assistant," which essentially means putting the books people return in to the proper aisles.

So now I have a full time job, a classic 9-5 snooze fest. But I'm in the right place. How many great successes have spent much time around books? Einstein? Nobel? Bono? All avid readers. Of course the Rocket is already expanding his mind. I've found this great series called "Encyclopedia Brown." They're fantastic, and they require the reader to solve the mysteries before turning to the back to find out the answers. I'm 2 for 7 so far, but I've gotten those two in the last three that I've tried, so there's improvement. Let me just say that books are the stepping stones to success. Think of them as literal steps that you can climb. But don't actually try to make steps out of the books, especially books from the library. They fine you for that kind of thing. So the successological journey continues unabated.

In other news, the book is coming along nicely. I've shopped it around to a few online publishers. The response has been cautiously pessimistic, but not to worry. This mind is worth it's weight in gold. It's like I'm actually walking around with gold in my head, and I need to figure out a way to extract it without dying. This of course is the next step in my journey.

Stay tuned for more Rocket rules.

Comments are welcome, although they may be privately scoffed at.

No comments: