Thursday, April 17, 2008

Public Library: Home to the People the World Forgot

This marks the beginning of a new feature section here on "The Rocket Rides Again." Those in the field of success can often learn much by studying those outside of their chosen field - i.e. by studying the unsuccessful. The library is a rich environment for studying such people. It is indeed a flourishing ecosystem of failure. The socially unaware and the remarkably mediocre seem to congregate at the library on a daily basis. And the Rocket gets an inside look at what not to do in his pursuit of glory.

"Now Rocket," you say, "that seems like an unfair assessment of the library's constituency. Surely many successful people also use the library." I tell you unequivocally that this is not true. Ask yourself this question reader: "How often do I go to the public library?" Follow it up with this question: "How successful am I?" I would argue that there is a direct correlation in our society between library visitation and success. Your life would probably prove it.

This section will evaluate the lives of some of the library's most dedicated patrons through the snapshots provided by my observations of, and interactions with them in my place of employment. I think that by this point in my journey I have learned enough about success to know what makes someone unsuccessful. I will use these observations in hopes of pointing my readers in the right direction, a direction that makes them not quite as successful as me.

I think that's a sufficient introduction. Stay tuned for "Person the World Forgot #1," which is coming soon.

No comments: